Subject: Re: zip drive problem
To: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.bevc.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1996 20:03:06
>> I can hardly wait for SIMM makers to start advertising 4Mx9 SIMMs holding
>> 4.7 MB.

>I'm not sure this isn't already done.  My machine at work runs through
>it's power-on memory check and tell me my 16M are 16,000k.  What happend
>to the other 384K?

Actually, that is quite possible.  The ISA I/O hole is exactly 384K
big.  If you have ROM shadowing enabled, it could be reserving 384K of
your memory between 640K-1MB for ROM shadowing.

>This also reminds of a catalog I've received.  In a box with a background
>color different than the rest of the page, it lists an NEC Versa V laptop
>computer with 4M standard and 20M max.  In the same box it lists memory
>upgrades for it in the 4M, 8M, 16M and 32M sizes.  (This was a CDW catalog.)

They meant 20MB hex. ;-)

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...