Subject: Re: NeXT file systems
To: Clarence Wilkerson <netbsd@hopf.math.purdue.edu>
From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1996 09:13:01

> I guess I started this thread by wanting to read a NeXT cdrom that was
> not 9660.
>
> I wonder how common a need for a "reverse" endian fs would be however?
> It seem that except for the CDROM case, one would have to worry
> about the disklabel and partition tables as well.

The company I work for did a port from M68k workstations to x86
about 5 years ago. Our solution to this file portability issue was
to do bit ordering in our read/write routines which converts Little-Endian
to Network-Order/Big-Endian. Had their been an OS available for x86
that could do this at the kernel/filesystem level, it would have been
a likely choice.

IMHO - In this age of network dependency, bit order on filesystems
should default to Big-Endian/Network order and allow an option to
mount Little-Endian for backward compatibility.

Just dreaming....