Subject: Re: NetBSD i386 bounce-buffer non-feature [was Re: Memory leak?]
To: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/1996 15:32:53
>>The hardware is broken, not the OS.

This is still true.  However, if NetBSD is going to run on ISA
machines, it _needs_ to have this support.  Sure, it's simplier to
respond with the all to common ``buy better machines'' but the point
is, there are a _lot_ of DMA mastering cards out there, and they
_need_ to be supported.

>	The '42 series cards are very good cards. They're very popular cards.
>A lot of people have them. Even Adaptec's own drivers for the card do bounce
>buffers, and almost every other OS that supports the '42 do bounce buffering.

If memory serves, OS/2 doesn't support this > 16M, and I think even
Adaptec's drivers are documented not to work past 16M.  At least some
flavors of them.

>	What "The Problem" is is that there _exist_ patches for NetBSD that
>allow bounce buffering. BUT .. they're not available!

BEEP!  They're in the pr database.  Query it.

>	So it may not be the cleanest situation, who cares? Make it
>if'def'out-able and put an "options  BROKEN_1542_BOUNCE" in the
>kernel..

The changes are to more than just the 1542 code.  It changes some of
the isa dma code, and the changes would quite likely break the amiga
and alpha ports right off.

I have heard Chris has the bounce buffer support on his TODO list.
How about we give him time to work on it, so it's done right?

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!