Subject: Re: NetBSD i386 bounce-buffer non-feature [was Re: Memory leak?]
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1996 07:18:36
>> Anyone who wants, though, is welcome to FTP my private patches.

> Well, I just did this, and from what I saw, the vast majority of the
> changes have either already been made, or have never appeared in the
> GNATS database.

Agreed.

The already-made fixes are because I have a relatively long (a week or
two) cycle between importing newly supped source trees as my "tree to
work on", and my patch tree reflects the tree I'm working on.

Fixes that have never made it to GNATS (which I'm not sure I'd term a
"vast majority", but that's not important) fall into a few categories:
	- things I don't consider it appropriate to send-pr (the
	   changes to src/Makefile are an example);
	- things I would send-pr except that discussion on the lists
	   has made me think it's likely the PR would simply be closed
	   with a remark "changes refused" (the patches to add
	   /kern/tickadj are an example);
	- work in progress (the if_tun stuff is an example);
	- stuff picked up from elsewhere that while I think perhaps it
	   should be send-pred, I don't think _I_ should send-pr it
	   (the scsi autoconfig message patches are an example);
	- stuff I really should send-pr and I keep meaning to do so,
	   but haven't gotten around to yet (the inetd stuff is an
	   example).

> Given that, it seems fairly rude to insinuate that anyone is ignoring
> you.

Agreed.  I certainly haven't said anything - at least not at all
recently - that was intended to "insinuate that anyone is ignoring
[me]".  (Though of course lots of people are ignoring me - I'm sure the
vast majority of NetBSD users don't care about my private patch tree
either way - I assume you meant something more like "core", or "people
with cvs access".)

If I said something that came across that way, I apologize.  My note
was a reply to the person who said that if I had patches for "this"
(which in context could have meant either bounce buffers or VM shadow
objects), sie'd like to know where they could be FTPed.  If I ever do
think I've fixed either of those, you can be sure I will send-pr the
changes!

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu