Subject: Re: FYI -- Linux for PowerMac (fwd)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1996 08:21:55
> > Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
> >  APPLE AND OPEN SOFTWARE
> >  FOUNDATION ANNOUNCE LINUX FOR
> >  POWER MACINTOSH
> Sounds good to me; it means the rest of the world - including us - gets
> helpful power-mac info free, in the form of known-working source code.
> What am I missing?

Well, it's a bit disappointing in that the Linux camp, which is interested
in nothing BUT marketing ;-), gets to crow about being the only PMac "unix"
for several months until the BSD camps reverse engineer the Mach changes.
It's also possible (though I don't know) that the published information will
be insufficient, if the Mach port relies on the MacOS running (or Copland or
some compatability hook).  (I'm specifically wondering how OSF plans to make
money off this; it may just be that this is how Apple will "prerelease"
the goodies of Copland without actually having it finished, or maybe you'll
end up needing to buy the Mach 3.0 kernel from OSF because there'll be
something missing from the published changes...)

Is anyone thinking about porting NetBSD to the Mach 3.0 microkernel, so that
several months of reverse engineering won't be necessary when this finally
hits the FTP sites?  I'd hope OSF hasn't fiddled with the Mach interfaces TOO
much in the process of doing this work.

(I just hope the CHRP hardware stays on track, since it will be well-defined
enough to just do a straightforward port.)