Subject: Re: Memory leak?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/1996 19:01:08
In article <199602060909.LAA06885@teeri.jmp.fi> jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi (Jukka Marin) writes:

>Hmm, why doesn't core want problems to be solved?  What is their goal?

What gives you that idea? Our goal is to provide a functional, high-quality,
multi-platform system. The fact that some problems are not solved is because
of the lack of manpower or the fact that not everyone knows how to solve
some of the problems. Remember this is a volunteer effort and we cannot really
force anyone to do anything.

>To give us lots of bells and whistles while some of the basic functions
>of the OS are severely broken?

I personally find that exactly the opposite is true. What bells and whistles
do you have in mind?

>I am happy with NetBSD, but I don't understand why the VM problem has
>been ignored for so long.  I know it's not simple to fix, but it doesn't
>make it any less a problem.

The problem is not being ignored, it is just too difficult to fix.
The only thing I can add is that we are trying to fix as many problems
as we can and the vm problem will be fixed eventually.

christos