Subject: Re: Memory leak?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Sean Berry (most of the time) <spberry@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/1996 10:24:15
>Does anyone have an idea of how to fix the problem?  [Bounce buffers
>would be good, too, but you can get rid of that problem by buying a PCI
>SCSI interface...]

I understand there are patches that work for bounce buffers.
I recently ended up buying a VLB SCSI controller.  However, I can't advise
NetBSD to most of my friends with decent machines, nor can I use it on
several machines at my office due to lack of these.  Hell, most of the
people I know with 32M machines run NT because NetBSD won't support their
ISA hardware.  I understand the argume for buying nicer hardware, and
originally had to go buy a nice scsi card so that I could run NetBSD.  Now
I'm being told that if I want to run any more memory in my machine (which
would be really nice, and solve a -lot- of problems) I have to buy another
(at least one) item of hardware.  Seeing as the Adaptec VLB and PCI cards
are selling out of catalogs from $200-300, I don't think it unreasonable to
first buy more memory, -then- when one has the money and inclination, to get
a nicer SCSI card.

I hate to sound evangelical, and hate to see this turn into a religious
argument on a mostly reasonable discussion list, but I think that if NetBSD
is to remain the best operating system I could run on my machine, or advise
people I know to run, these are the Achille's heel that must be fixed.

--
Sean Berry is an ENTJ cellist who plays with netbsd.
I imagine someone is likely to misinterpret my opinions as those of my