Subject: Re: Memory leak?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/1996 11:09:00
> Seems to me we should get something, anything, in to fix this, even if
> it's a scavenger that's run once a minute to find these extra shadow
> objects and nuke them.

Uhm, I think this is a serious problem which should be fixed ASAP.

> But then, given how core has been resisting bounce buffers in the i386
> port, we may have to either live with (yet another) brokenness in the
> VM subsystem or keep private patches for it.  Not that private patches
> bother _me_ particularly; I've got over 100K of private patches
> already.  But I know they bother some people.

Hmm, why doesn't core want problems to be solved?  What is their goal?
To give us lots of bells and whistles while some of the basic functions
of the OS are severely broken?

I am happy with NetBSD, but I don't understand why the VM problem has
been ignored for so long.  I know it's not simple to fix, but it doesn't
make it any less a problem.

I can't even tell any 'outsider' about the VM problem because that would
make them think NetBSD is completely useless for professional users.

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix the problem?  [Bounce buffers
would be good, too, but you can get rid of that problem by buying a PCI
SCSI interface...]

  -jm