Subject: Re: tmp in mfs and swap
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/1996 06:42:50
> Something I've wonderd about for a while:  why does NetBSD have both
> mfs and a ram-disk driver?  It seems somewhat redundant.  Is the
> ramdisk necessary for booting on some ports?

I think there are some where it's used in the install process, which is
not quite the same thing.

> If so, what's the advantage of mfs over an ffs filesystem on a
> ramdisk?

Let's see.  If you use a ramdisk, you can put any filesystem there, not
just FFS.  (This is admittedly not of much use, especially given vnd
devices.)  Using a ramdisk fixes the RAM consumption of your
filesystem, and thus the space available on the filesystem, at ramdisk
config time; using mfs, as I understand it, lets the filesystem and
system swap consumption compete for space with one another.  This can
be good or bad, of course.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu