Subject: Re: Kernel compile 100 times faster (this sound provocating,doesnt it?:)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1996 15:36:20
Carsten Hammer (chammer@phyd2hammer.uni-bielefeld.de) wrote:
: Hi,
: When compiling a currentkernel on a 030/25Mhz this can need many hours.
: Most of the time is wasted in including the same files.

Carsten, from my experience I'd say this is wrong. I have the same setup,
more or less, as a compiling machine (A3000 with 68030@25MHz) and what I see,
is that most of the time is spend in the optimizing passes of the compiler,
at nearly 100% cpu utilization and no disk access at all, once including and
syntax/semantics analysis have taken place. I'd say, that including and
syntax/semantics analysis together are less than a third of total time.

The only operation which really needs lots of time is the make depend,
and even this is only ~ 20% of total time for a total kernel rebuild.

Regards,
	Ignatios