Subject: Re: Kernel compile 100 times faster (this sound provocating,doesnt it?:)
To: None <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca, jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
From: Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1996 21:13:03
> From: Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
> Subject: Re: Kernel compile 100 times faster (this sound provocating,doesnt it?:)
> To: dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca (David Gilbert)
> Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 19:56:02 -0200 (EDT)
> Cc: chammer@phyd2hammer.uni-bielefeld.de, current-users@NetBSD.ORG
>
> > 	To take this further, it would be relatively painless to
> > recompile the kernel if NetBSD provided what is called a 'link kit'
> > ... but that's for someone else to figure out.
>
> Is this the thing that makes possible to make SunOS kernels without
> compiling ALL files ?
>
> I do not agree with the idea of joining of all sources, but surely a
> better dependency tree in the makefile that could make my new config
> compile without removing all compile tree would be nice.

No. The reason  that compiling SunOS takes so little time is the
Makefile sees that the objects located in /sys/`arch -k`/OBJ are more
recent that the source files. Of course the source files don't exist
so the objects have to be more recent. But, if you dropped in a
source file it would compile it instead into
/sys/`arch -k`/conf/<kernel name>/<obj>. Then it wouldn't need to
recompile in the future..

-brad w.