Subject: Re: tmp in mfs and swap
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1996 17:35:38
> > >I could be a real lose on 4mb sun3/50 systems...

> > Do you *know* it would be a real lose on a 4MB system, or are you just
> > assuming?

>My 3/50 swapped *A LOT* when I compiled pine (which passes -pipe to the
>compiler in its build process).  Letting the compiler use an honest /tmp
>on-disk filesystem helped a bit...

OK... I was just curious because I didn't know if anyone has actually
sat down and proven that -pipe takes up substantially more RAM than
without.  (I wasn't trying to say you were wrong... ;-) And, does it
make the situation any worse than mfs /tmp on a 4MB machine (where mfs
is also gobbling up some of the very small free memory pool)?

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...