Subject: Re: Memory leak?
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Alec H. Peterson <chuckie@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1996 17:26:40
Jason Thorpe writes:

>Before anyone can even begin to address your problem, there are a couple
>of pretty important pieces if information that need to be filled in:
>
>	- Which platform?  (It can make a difference.)

i386

>	- What kind of system activity is going when you notice the
>	  most lossage?

One thing that kills it for some reason is named.  We are running a
dedicated name server machine, and all it is running is named.
Sometimes there is something like 40MB of swap claimed, and the
aparent sum total of the processes is something like 15MB.  The
machine has 16MB of RAM.

>	- Have you tried to narrow down the source?

Yes.  On my machine here at school, I frequently see the swap
consumption jump to 25 megabytes, and the X server is only claiming
about 6MB, and other clients have a total of 8.  However, when the X
server exits, it drops to about 3MB of swap (never back to zero).

Alec

--
|Alec Peterson - chuckie@panix.com   | Panix Public Access UNIX and Internet|