Subject: Re: Encryption and dumping to multiple tapes?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1996 08:07:00
> Subject: Encryption and dumping to multiple tapes?

> Was wondering if there's a good solution to this, as dump/tar expects
> to write directly to a tape device, and typically handling
> end-of-tape exceptions require special handling, so I can't just pipe
> thru a crypt program.

I've written a split/merge program designed mostly for writing multiple
media from a pipe.  For example, to do an encrypted backup to multiple
zip disks (on sd1), I might do

tar + c v f - V-toc /backup/dump.toc V-info /backup/dump.err	\
	i S e u r 3 E now=1,later=2,list=/backup/dump.fail	\
	+ -C / .		\
	-X -H ./backup/dump.	\
	-X -H ./ftp		\
	-X -T .core		\
	-X -H ./mnt/		\
	-X -H ./tmp/ |
  ideacrypt -e 'my favorite key' |
  splitmerge -s 96m				\
	'dd of=/dev/rsd1c obs=1048576 count=96'	\
	'echo Change disks, type EOF when done; cat > /dev/null'

Obviously, pieces of this will vary, but I trust the idea is clear.
I'll be glad to send any of the above software to anyone, except that
due to the usual governmental idiocy I won't send libidea source (the
actual IDEA code) except to people I have reason to believe are in the
USA or Canada.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu