Subject: Re: zip drive problem
To: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/1996 17:23:58

>> It can't possibly be right; the disk has only two sides, so the
>> real head count must be either 1 or 2; it can't possibly be 64.

Phil> You are correct in that it is a two-headed device; but
Phil> everything that talks to the drive reports it as this geometry
Phil> .. some SCSI diagnostics tools for Lose95 that I've tried
Phil> report this geometry as well.

	This might go back to the problem that (some versions of?) DOS
don't understand certain geometry numbers higher than a certain
value.  I remember that when running a DOS emulator on my Amiga
against my Bernouli (40M) drive, I had to use ficticious numbers
because I had too many sectors per track.

	At this point, I have to wonder if drive manufactures at this
point don't bother emitting geometry that is even close to the truth.
They just make sure the broken systems can still understand it.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |