Subject: Re: Did lunch - and was told ISA != 16+ meg
To: None <lukem@telstra.com.au>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/1996 11:52:54

> Marc Rassbach writes:
> > I took outone of the Introl people for lunch today
> > (as from Introl.com) and was told that the only way to
> > enjoy more than 16 meg of RAM in a NetBSD box was
> > to use ONLY ISA cards.
>
> Nup.
> I've run 20MB i386 boxen.
> I didn't have an AHA-1542 (or any other ISA busmastering DMA card for
> that matter)

This is covered pretty effectively in the FAQ.  See
"http://cynjut.neonramp.com/FAQ.html" for the easy way in.

Personal anecdote:  I was running a 32M ISA 486 here (cynjut) with a
1522 controller and several SCSI devices.  Since the controller doesn't
do DMA, I was in hog heaven.  As soon as I wanted to upgrade to a 1542
SCSI controller, I had to downgrade to a 16M 486.  I'm still using the
1522.

--
Dave Burgess  (The man of a thousand E-Mail addresses)
386bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom