Subject: Re: scsi device configuration
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@teleport.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1996 18:05:30
>> (I want to hardwire bus 0, target 0, lun 0 to /dev/sd0, target 1 to
>> /dev/sd1, etc.)
[...]
>Did you try just
>sd0 at scsibus? target 0 lun ?
>sd1 at scsibus? target 1 lun ?
>sd2 at scsibus? target 2 lun ?
>sd* at scsibus? target ? lun ?
>
>...etc. ?  This worked the last time that I tried it.

Thanks.  I tried a couple of things similar to that, but I don't think
I had it exactly right.  (I may have had '0's instead of '?'s in the
wrong places.)  Do you know offhand if the exact semantics of stuff
like this is documented somewhere (documentation and/or source)?  I
assume that by looking at the sources for config and/or the scsi parts
of the kernel one could figure it out, but I didn't need to know that
badly.

>> BTW, at least on the mac68k port (which, I believe, doesn't yet run on
>> any machines with multiple scsi busses), would it make more sense to
>> configure the distributed kernel this way?  Most people seem to know what
>> scsi IDs their devices have, but I've seen a lot of confusion on the list
>> about the scsi id -> device node mapping system.
>I've gone back and forth on this for some time.  I personally prefer to
>keep the current behavior for myself and it's not different from NetBSD
>on other platforms or from FreeBSD.

The only reason I suggest it is that the dynamic device assignment
doesn't buy us anything on current machines, and tends to confuse new
users.  I don't really care that much -- I'll configure my kernel the
way I like it anyway ;) -- but it might eliminate a few FAQ postings.
New users often haven't used FreeBSD or NetBSD before, but most mac
users with more than one disk are at least marginally aware of SCSI
ID's.  I wouldn't even necessarially do the GENERIC kernel this way --
just the ones stuck in with major binary releases.

"But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." *

-- monroe

* - If you can place this quote, give yourself 10 points. ;-)
Monroe Williams                                      monroe@teleport.com