Subject: Re: Did lunch - and was told ISA != 16+ meg
To: Marc Rassbach <marcbsd@milestonerdl.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1996 05:20:42
>I took outone of the Introl people for lunch today
>(as from Introl.com) and was told that the only way to
>enjoy more than 16 meg of RAM in a NetBSD box was
>to use ONLY ISA cards.

Um...  I think they were confused.  ISA has the limitation of 16M
because of the number of address lines coming off the bus, but I used
my VLB card with 32M just fine.

>The obv. gotja is with my BusLogic SCSI card.
>(an ISA dma card)

I assume it does bus mastering?  If so, it won't allow more than 16M
until someone does bounce buffer support.

>But will generic VGA/3com 509/generic serial cards
>which are ISA be problematic with over 16 meg of
>RAM?

The 3com509 doesn't use memory at all, does it?  The serial cards
certainly dont, nor do most other drivers.  Most VGA cards map into
the standard region.  Only higher end VGA maps elsewhere, and most of
those are PCI or VLB I would suspect.

I think you were told misleading or just plain wrong info about the
problems with more than 16M and ISA.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!