Subject: Re: zip drive problem
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1996 20:59:03
On Fri, 2 Feb 1996, der Mouse wrote:

> It can't possibly be right; the disk has only two sides, so the real
> head count must be either 1 or 2; it can't possibly be 64.  From a
> practical point of view, though, pavel is right, the thing to do is to
> just ignore the message.  Aside from the noise message, I had no
> trouble with my zip drive.  (Well, almost.  There's cabling - what
> _possessed_ them to use that bizarre nonstandard pinout, and just _try_
> to find cables to hook it up to a scsi chain that ends with a D"B"-50.
> I also don't care for iomega; I sent them email asking four questions
> and never got even an ack back.)

You're refering to the DB-25 for SCSI inputs? I'm not sure about their
pinouts, but Apple was possessed, probably by cheep and narrow plugs,
to make the standard Mac SCSI port be a DB-25. :-) I bet IOmega just
used the same pinouts (in fact they must have as I hooked one onto
my mac by unplugging the SCSI cable from the mac, hooking the ZIP to
the mac, and hooking the external SCSI chain to the ZIP).

Take care,

Bill