Subject: Re: Autonice bugging my but!
To: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1996 11:44:42
Eric S. Hvozda writes:
> > Anyway, 2 days is still about 47.9 hours too long to change a simple
> > thing like that.

> Whoa!  Who here is building kernels in 6 mins flat from scratch?

> (takes me 28 mins on a DX4-100 i386, 512Mb IDE, 20Mb RAM)

>From memory, a full kernel (ALL: networking, NFS, compat stuff, ISO9660, ddb,
etc) takes 7-8 minutes (excluding 'depend') on my machine. A trimmed
down kernel (sans NFS, CDFS, ddb, etc) would take a lot less than
that, since those three things take a lot of time.

The hardware:
	ASUS P55TP4XE, P90 CPU, 16MB RAM, 256K pipe burst SRAM cache,
	SC200 (NCR 53c810) SCSI controller, 1GB DEC RZ26 SCSI HD.

The disk isn't spectacular in performance, and it's about the slowest
CPU you can put on the board. Just goes to show what can be done on
shitty PC hardware when someone (ASUS) actually puts a reasonably good
memory and IO subsystem on it...

Luke.