Subject: Re: Did lunch - and was told ISA != 16+ meg
To: Marc Rassbach <marcbsd@milestonerdl.com>
From: David <david@mono.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1996 13:11:32
On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Marc Rassbach wrote:

> I took outone of the Introl people for lunch today
> (as from Introl.com) and was told that the only way to
> enjoy more than 16 meg of RAM in a NetBSD box was
> to use ONLY ISA cards.

	(I assume you have reversed the logic in this line)
> :-(
>
> The obv. gotja is with my BusLogic SCSI card.
> (an ISA dma card)
>
> But will generic VGA/3com 509/generic serial cards
> which are ISA be problematic with over 16 meg of
> RAM?

	(AFAIK) the problem will only occur for ISA cards that perform
	DMA, which tends to limit it to SCSI cards. Then again if you
	have bounce buffers the problem is worked around. I believe
	someone (cgd?) had a NetBSD test kernel with bounce buffer
	support a little while ago...

                   David/abs             (david@mono.org)

+44 181 888 8949 System Manager, Southern Studios Ltd, Box 59, London N22 1AR
     >=- Microsoft asks you where you want to go. Unix gets you there -=<
        <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.org >>>