Subject: Re: zip drive problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1996 06:52:09
>> aha0 targ 5 lun 0: <IOMEGA, ZIP 100, N*32> SCSI2 0/direct removable
>> sd2 at scsibus0sd2(aha0:5:0): illegal request, data = 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 ff fe 01 01 f2 00 00
>> sd2: could not mode sense (4); using fictitious geometry
>> : 96MB, 96 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec

> This is "normal" for the ZIP drive.  I'm not exactly sure why it
> doesn't answer the "mode sense" properly, but the geometry you end up
> with is the right one (96/64/32).

It can't possibly be right; the disk has only two sides, so the real
head count must be either 1 or 2; it can't possibly be 64.  From a
practical point of view, though, pavel is right, the thing to do is to
just ignore the message.  Aside from the noise message, I had no
trouble with my zip drive.  (Well, almost.  There's cabling - what
_possessed_ them to use that bizarre nonstandard pinout, and just _try_
to find cables to hook it up to a scsi chain that ends with a D"B"-50.
I also don't care for iomega; I sent them email asking four questions
and never got even an ack back.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu