Subject: Re: NeXT file systems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/1996 07:04:05
> Hidden in this reply is an interesting snippet I think should go into
> a (7) cdrom man page, if its true you can't read big-endian byte
> order FFS CD's on little-endian CPUs and vice-versa.

AFAIK you can't, any more than you can read a big-endian FFS on a
little-endian machine when the FFS is on something else.

> gee.. could we have a small fs layer that byteswapped so we can
> cross-mount between different architectures?

Heh.  Yeah, that'd be a good thing to have.  Are you volunteering to
write it? :-)

> sure would make bootstrapping some of the dead iron simpler if you
> could put an old Ultrix SCSI drive onto a PC and read/write the damn
> thing.

Aren't "old Ultrix" little-endian, just like the 80x86?

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu