Subject: Re: PPP and flow control
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1996 10:08:49
Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com (michaelv@HeadCandy.com) wrote:
: There was a go-round mid-late last year about how NetBSD simply
: doesn't service interrupts as quickly as, say, FreeBSD.  I believe
: FreeBSD implemented some kind of virtual-DMA thing in their interrupt
: handler that's supposed to especially help their com (sio) driver.

Which reminds me of: some brainstorming last year brought up the idea of
implementing a multiple-character-at-once-fill-into-the-tty-layer
interface between drivers and tty layer... while this would not help the
serial driver getting locked out of service by other drivers, it would
dramatically reduce interrupt servicing overhead for drivers like the
16550 one. Did anybody try to work on this?

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis