Subject: Re: zip drive problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1996 06:39:16
> I recent got a zip drive 100M for testing and find the following
> error message.

> aha0 targ 5 lun 0: <IOMEGA, ZIP 100, N*32> SCSI2 0/direct removable
> sd2 at scsibus0sd2(aha0:5:0): illegal request, data = 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 ff fe 01 01 f2 00 00
> sd2: could not mode sense (4); using fictitious geometry
> : 96MB, 96 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec

> Is there anyone have the same problem ?

Yes, I do.

> I would like you to share with me and teach me how to solve it .

There are two problems.

One is that the zip drive simply does not accept the page 4 mode sense
command NetBSD is using to try to get the geometry.  Fortunately this
isn't serious; it uses the indicated fictitious geometry, and if you
have a disk label on the disk will believe what's there.  The only
problem is the obnoxious noise message on the first access after
changing disks.

The other problem is that iomega calls their disks 100MB, while NetBSD
says they're 96MB.  As far as I can tell, NetBSD is telling the truth
here and iomega is lying.  If you want this fixed, you'll have to go
talk to iomega.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu