Subject: Re: Creeping Feature of the week...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1996 06:31:25
> How stupidly expensive would CPU emulation be, anyway?

Depends on how much effort and code you want to pour into it. :-)

> I know I've seen software 8088's on 68000 boxes before, slow though
> they may be.

I've seen a software 80286 on some recent (non-68k) Macintosh.  It's a
commercial product called, I think, SoftPC, and I'm told a software
80386 also exists.  And I have a PDP-11 written in C that runs on SunOS
and probably would be easy to port to other OSes.  It could be speeded
up immensely by compiling the -11 code to native code instead of doing
pure interpretation, but of course that would then be sparc-specific
instead of the current more or less MI program.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu