Subject: Re: Recursive grep
To: David Gilbert , Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: The Grey Wolf <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/1996 10:39:09
I disagree with the concept of the inode-munging or dir-reading utilites
NOT having a -R flag, since the code for a FTW is relatively lightweight.

Of course, said code will break if '..' doesn't point where expected
:-).  I'm not counting the symlink brokenness of '..', I'm talking about
a filesystem in which '..' somehow got pointed somewhere else, in which
case you have a lot more to worry about than the implementation of a -R
flag.

It seems to me that the list of utilities which are truly entitled to a
-R (recursion) flag would be:  chmod, chown, chgrp, ls.  They do very
simple operations, and they don't try to dink with or locate anything.

Anything which does data retrieval from normal files is probably not
really going to need a recursion flag.

Suggesting that these programs should have the -R flag yanked out
is tantamount to replacing automobiles with horse drawn carriages.
[Not that _that's_ a bad idea :-), but I think you get the point.]

				--*greywolf;
--
D.A.R.E* to keep Microsoft off computers.
(* Diskette Abuse Resistance Education)