Subject: timespec definition
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/1996 09:45:04
G'day,

For some time I've been annoyed by the NetBSD definition of timespec
(which uses ts_sec and ts_nsec where other systems use tv_sec and tv_nsec).
We use timespec a lot and I'm tired of doing...

#ifdef __NetBSD__
code for non-standard timespec
#else
code for standard timespec
#endif

The NetBSD <sys/time.h> header file refers to POSIX 1003.4 which has been
replaced by POSIX 1003.1b-1993. Section 14.1.1 says that timespec includes
at least tv_sec and tv_nsec and implementations may add extensions.

Is there anyone who (a) agrees that timespec in NetBSD should comply with
POSIX; and (b) has the authority to make the decision to allow the change?

Regards,

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street