Subject: Re: sup flailing obscurely
To: None <Gary.Timuss@sirius.UVic.CA>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1996 12:12:11
On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Gary Timuss wrote:

> If I start a sup, though (to sup.netbsd.org or introl.introl.com),
> things will proceed normialy for almost exactly 3-4 minutes,
> the the tx/rx lights on my modem go idle for one minute, and
> then the modem hangsup, and pppd dies.

I've seen situations where a certain sequence of characters will cause
some modems to hang up.  Is it a bug is someone's chipset?  Almost
certainly.  Can you do anything about it?  That all depends on the
hardware.  Sometimes, however, it's something a lot more simple:  flow
control.

Add these lines to your pppd options (on the command line, or in
/etc/ppp/options):

asyncmap a0000
escape 11,13

This will tell your pppd to encode sent XON/XOFF characters, and will
tell it to negotiate with the other end to do the same.

> Any suggestions?  I've been using a few different supfiles, but the one
> that used to work is below, I'm calling sup -v -z supfile.

Split for readability only:

current release=security host=sup.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp/pub base=/usr
	prefix=/usr backup use-rel-suffix delete
current release=doc host=sup.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp/pub base=/usr
	prefix=/usr backup use-rel-suffix delete
current release=othersrc host=sup.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp/pub base=/usr
	prefix=/usr backup use-rel-suffix delete
current release=allsrc host=sup.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp/pub base=/usr
	prefix=/usr backup use-rel-suffix delete

Also, you might want to try dropping the -z, if nothing else works.

--scott