Subject: Re: ccd/fsck problem
To: Jukka Marin <>
From: David <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1996 12:04:09
On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Jukka Marin wrote:

	(Just replying to the swap question as I have never used ccd :)

> [..ccd question..]
> Another quick one: Does the swap partition _always_ have to be at least
> twice the size of physical RAM?  The operator has created a 96 MB swap,
> but the machine has 64 MB of phys. RAM and I'm wondering....
	NetBSD does not preallocate swap (which has its own problems when
	you run out of virtual memory), so you do not _need_ any swap at all
	(a 64Mb ram machine with no swap would be a better box than a 32mb ram
	with 32mb swap :), but its obviously sensible to allocate some

	Work out what you expect your max virtual memory usage would be,
	then double it (paranoia) and subtract your ram - thats your swap
	size :)

	FYI: 64Mb *BSD sparc with 16 users:

	(muon ~)14# pstat -s
	Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
	/dev/sd0b      103500     1108   102392     1%    Interleaved

	(damn, thats over a megabyte of swap used :)

                   David/abs             (

+44 181 888 8949 System Manager, Southern Studios Ltd, Box 59, London N22 1AR
     >=- Microsoft asks you where you want to go. Unix gets you there -=<
        <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet >>>