Subject: Re: Autonice bugging my but!
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Missing - presumed fed. <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1996 09:55:13
I still find it ludicrous that it takes a week to build the kernel.  The
world, I could see, but a _kernel_?

I mean, according to my calculations (and considering that, until
recently, the I/O on a VAX blew doors on just about any other machine
out there), a SS2 is 40 MIPS (simple instruction count).

A VAX was 0.75 MIPS (simple instruction count).

A kernel build on an SS2 takes me about a half-hour to 45 minutes.

A kernel build on a VAX should take AT THE MOST 2 days.

[grumble grumble friggin _week_ grumble grumble]

...or Have I Missed Something [TM]?

				--*greywolf;
--
thought:  I ain't so damb dumn! | Your brand new kernel just dump core on you
war: Invalid argument           | And fsck can't find inode 2