Subject: Re: Is dial on demand PPP possible?
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1996 09:21:39
> I'm looking for a way to automatically bring up my PPP connection when
> I send out a packet, and then disconnect if the interface is idle for
> a certain amount of time... I found this "dp" program that seems to do
> what I want, but it's for SunOS/Solaris only, and I have no idea how
> to get it to work with NetBSD (or if it's even possible). Does anyone
> out there know of something similar that would work with NetBSD?

The PPP support in the 1.1 kernel has idle-timeout support.

Last I looked, pppd includes code to support it, but that code is
under an #ifdef linux (!) (I filed a PR...).  When I removed the
ifdef, it just worked.

Given idle-timeout support in PPP, you can construct demand-dial using
a shell script, the tun driver, and tcpdump..

						- Bill