Subject: Re: PPP and flow control
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1996 03:14:00
Ignatios Souvatzis writes:
>looking at the code, I realized that the damned NS16550 lookalikes don't
>have _hardware_ flow control, but only _software_ flow control (that is,
>if the interupt isn't serviced fast enough, you loose).

Exactly.  The "real" NS16550s don't have builtin hardware flow control
either.  Steve Nuchia's USENET-II serial board does implement hardware
flow control with a clever hack.  I find it a bit price for a 16550
four port board, though.

Perhaps the fifo trigger level should be set to 4 instead of 8 for the
higher speeds in the com driver?
Christoph Badura

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.