Subject: ISDN support for NetBSD/i386
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Arne Helme <arne@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1996 20:47:37
This might be of interest to some of you: I have ported the II, an
ISDN package for FreeBSD that supports EDDS1 (Euro-ISDN) to
NetBSD-current.

An early alpha release of the code is available at URL:

    ftp://ftp.pegasus.esprit.ec.org/pub/arne/ii-0.2-netbsd-0.1a.tar.gz

Currently there is not much documentation, but I am busy writing a
document that will explain the functionality of the various
components, and the changes I have made in order make it work with
NetBSD/i386.  It has only been tested against -current and it only
supports the German Teles S0/16.3 ISA card (passive, with Siemens ISAC
and HSCX chip sets).

Raw IP over ISDN is working.  Phone answering and playback of messages
works (with the SoundBlaster and (untested) Gravis Ultrasound Systems
(GUS) drivers + ALAW additions to the generic audio driver).

The TTY interface of the original II distribution compiles but has
never been tested with NetBSD.  I might try to add PPP support here
later....

I intend to write a small X application that will show status
information on the display and do some simple application management
control functions.  At the moment the user interface to these things
is pretty awkward.

Unfortunately most of the original II distribution is GPLed.

I Hope this will be of some use to other NetBSD/i386 users.  Bug
reports and fixes will definately be appreciated.

-- Arne
| Arne Helme, http://www.pegasus.esprit.ec.org/people/arne/index.html  |
|  Inf/SPA, Univ. of Twente, Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, Netherlands    |
|  PHONE: +31-53-4894178, FAX: +31-53-4894590, HOME: +31-53-4326377    |
| arne@acm.org, arne@pegasus.esprit.ec.org,  "Die Stille ist Abstrakt" |