Subject: Re: Put big hunks of the Xserver in the kernel?
To: None <matthieu@laas.fr>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1996 16:42:33
According to Matthieu Herrb:

>I agree totally. But all SVGA boards are programmed through I/O
>registers that cannot be left writable to the normal users since they
>can be used to burn your monitor.

Actually, this does not seem to worry some Unix vendors... I was
running Interactive unix on my home machine (dumped it because slip
was hopelessly broken).  They had a driver for the vga card - you
could use an ioctl to set and read the registers of the VGA card.  I
actually ported the R5 clock probe program to use these ioctls -
seemed to work ok though the numbers where a bit dodgy due to the
scheduler.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.