Subject: Re: where is limfree defined?
To: Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1996 10:00:13
On Jan 23, 10:55pm, Bruce Albrecht wrote:

> So far, I haven't seen anyone suggest the following:
>
>    grep '^limfree' `find /usr/src/sys -name '*.c' -print `
>
> Is there some reason why this is worse than using a construct like
> find | xargs | grep ?

This has problems if the output of the find command is greater than the
total argv/envp space available.  Look at /usr/include/sys/syslimits.h
for the definition of ARG_MAX.  Granted, NetBSD is fairly generous in
this area, but a lot of other operating systems have limits between
10kB and 20kB, and your environment variables eat up this space as
well.

Simon.
--
Simon Burge						simonb@telstra.com.au
UNIX Support, CPR Project, Telstra.			+61 3 9634 3974