Subject: Re: Recursive grep (where is limfree defined?)
To: Brett Lymn <>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1996 19:38:28
On Wed, 24 Jan 96 (Brett Lymn) wrote:

>According to James Graham - Systems Mangler:

>>See above.  Putting the example in the man page for find(1) might
>>be useful; putting the example in the man page for grep(1) seems
>>almost silly.

>No sillier than putting how to copy directory trees in the tar man
>page or how to copy filesystems using dump.  If people are going to,
>logically, look in grep(1) for a way to do recursive greps then
>putting the example there is the "right" place.  The man pages are
>there to help people use the tools - showing people how to use the
>tools efficiently would make the man page, IMHO, even better.  I know
>I always appreciated the little examples in the tar(1) and dump(1) man

I don't know if I agree with that.  The man pages are *reference*
documents, not tutorials.  Maybe we need a separate set of "tut"

  Michael L. VanLoon
     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...