Subject: Re: Recursive grep
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Missing - presumed fed. <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1996 11:51:53
#define AUTHOR "mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU (der Mouse)"

/*
 * > find and xargs should be changed to *both* default to separtation
 * > with nul's, a la GNU find/xargs's -print0 and -0 args.
 *
 * I strongly disagree with this; it will seriously break damn near every
 * other use of find in existence.  (Yes, I use find in ways other than
 * piping the output into xargs.  Often.)

Such as how does one read the output from a find -print0 with utilities
that depend on newline-separated output (such as, say, optical reception)?
:-).

Not bad for a knee-jerk reaction of an idea -- and I don't mean knee-jerk
in a derogatory way, but in a pragmatic sense.  Someone saw the idea
of the -print0/-0 args and thought, "Hey, now that's cool, why not use
it everywhere?" without fully analyzing the ramifications of doing so.

Given about fifteen minutes (just to be safe) to really think it out,
the list of side effects becomes long and quite obvious.

 *
 * 					der Mouse
 *
 * 			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU (der Mouse)" */

				--*greywolf;
--
DAFFYNITIONS
    Regression Test (re gresh' n test) n. 1.  A simple show of hands among