Subject: Re: Adduser
To: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@frodo.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1996 18:17:55
> The problem i think here is that in order to run some perl or tcl/tk script
> from the basic distrib, you'd have to incorporate perl or tcl/tk into the tree
> itself.

Quite.  That's why ftp://ftp.quick.com.au/pub/unix/adduser.sh is a
shell script - works fine on *BSD, SunOS, HP-UX and even Solaris.
It can be used interactively or in batch mode.

> P.S.: Note for add/deluser: you might add a hook for entering things in
>       /etc/aliases.

Several years ago I wrote an all singing all dancing version that did
context sensitive help, data validation, populated aliases and even
arranged for creating $HOME on a machine other then the one running it
for NIS use. All in Bourne shell :-) It was very cute and made life
very easy for the unix challenged operators who had to use it.
But I don't use it myself.  I do use the one refered to above though.

--sjg