Subject: Re: Recursive grep (where is limfree defined?)
To: None <>
From: Brett Lymn <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1996 18:25:02
According to James Graham - Systems Mangler:
>See above.  Putting the example in the man page for find(1) might
>be useful; putting the example in the man page for grep(1) seems
>almost silly.

No sillier than putting how to copy directory trees in the tar man
page or how to copy filesystems using dump.  If people are going to,
logically, look in grep(1) for a way to do recursive greps then
putting the example there is the "right" place.  The man pages are
there to help people use the tools - showing people how to use the
tools efficiently would make the man page, IMHO, even better.  I know
I always appreciated the little examples in the tar(1) and dump(1) man

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.