Subject: Re: sendmail 8.7.3, perl 5, bind 4.9.3 glitches
To: None <>
From: Luke Mewburn <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1996 14:37:35
James Graham - Systems Mangler writes:
> To contribute to the BIND issues, I find some interesting problems with
> -current BIND.

> Say you live in an environment in which machines are of the form

> where foo is the machine.  Say you want to get to another machine
> in a parallel subdomain, such as

> Under previous versions of BIND (the one under StunOS comes to mind),
> one can simply, from machine foo(.bar.baz.quux), say:

> 	# ping

> and the resolver will automagically begin adding parts of the domain name
> beyond the unresolved point, i.e.

> 	TRY	...FAIL
> 	TRY	...FAIL
> 	TRY	...OK

> Why is this now broken?

It's not. BIND 4.9.3 follows RFC 1535 that says that by default,
the search list is just the domainname. Check doc/rfc/rfc1535 in
the BIND source for more info

To get the behaviour that you want, assuming you have the following
in /etc/resolv.conf:
	'domain foo.baz.quux'
	'search foo.baz.quux baz.quux'

Luke Mewburn <>
"Aah ... Yes, and how does madam wish to pay?" She slapped her credit
 card on the counter. "Eventually."
                  -- Lady Sharrow, in Iain M. Banks' `Against a Dark Background'