Subject: pw_util.o
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <kpneal@unity.ncsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/1996 22:56:01
Ok, so I'm working on adduser, and I need to link in the password
file locking stuff. Where is it located?

In /usr/src/usr.sbin/vipw/obj/pw_util.o.  Uh, that's nasty. That
means that vipw has to be compiled before the other pw programs,
unless I missed something here. Now that the number of programs
that link in this object module is growing, why not make it a
shared library, or even just a static library?

Tell you what, if it gets made into a library, I'll write the man page,
as soon as I figure out how.

One more thing: The interface for getting the name of the temp file
between pwutil and the app needs to be changed to not use a
global variable (pw_util.c contains: extern char *tempname).
Who wants to clean up this file before making libpwutil?

Since adduser is my gig, if nobody else wants to, I can clean it
up. Course, if somebody else wants it...

Additionally, vipw.c contains copyfile(). That's a terribly useful
function, why not put it somewhere else so other programs don't
have to duplicate that code?

XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore CSC/CPE     kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu
XCOMM North Carolina State University      kevinneal@bix.com