Subject: Re: Recursive grep (where is limfree defined?)
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@niagara.nectar.cs.cmu.edu>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/1996 14:05:50
> ... and, it doesn't really solve the problem...  If you're searching a
> file tree, do you want to blindly grep all files?  ("i've got an emacs
> for you...")

And before you quickly answer "sure, why not" to this question, I'd like to
point out that grep is in the habit of *failing* (as in exiting) when it
greps through huge binary files, if it fails to see a newline character every
couple of megabytes...  (Frankly, I'd like to see that *fixed*, but until it
is, something like

	$ grep fishsticks /usr/local/bin/*
	grep: memory exhausted

ought to be easily reproducible anywhere large binaries are found.)