Subject: linking...
To: Peter Seebach <jaywon!solon.com!seebs@life.ai.mit.edu>
From: David Gilbert <pci!jaywon!dgilbert@life.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/1996 23:20:40
>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com> writes:

	[about libm.a and libc.a]

Peter> I don't see how much we gain from the separation.  If it does
Peter> much good, though, maybe we should go the other way, and
Peter> separate things out a bit more.

	Last time I cared to look, libc contained a small version of
printf and friends that didn't understand floating point.  However,
during a quick test right now, there is no executable size difference
in using/not using libm for a hello world program (yes I did use
-static).

	More modern C compilers generate different code for printf's
if any printf uses floats --- if they even still care.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |