Subject: Re: NCR Driver Problems
To: Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/1996 11:36:20
On Fri, 19 Jan 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:

> Please send log messages. That HP seems to have problems
> if tagged command queues are enabled, and it is the only
> drive except the Sequel 5400 (an old 5" DEC design, I've
> been told), that doesn't work reliably with tags.

This is all that appeared in the log, unfortunately:

Jan 17 19:28:51 cynic /netbsd: sd2(ncr0:4:0): command aborted
Jan 17 19:28:51 cynic /netbsd: sd2: dos partition I/O error
Jan 17 19:28:51 cynic /netbsd: sd2(ncr0:4:0): command aborted

Is there something I can enable in the driver to get more details
about the abort? Will turning on DEBUG_TAGS help with this? If I
don't have the kernel debugger enabled, is there any easy way of
setting ncr_debug whilst the system is running, or must I patch my
kernel binary and reboot? (Actually, I just noticed that this is
a static; I reckon I must recompile my kernel to change this.)

I did notice when I ran ncrstat that of all my drives (two Quantum
Lightnings, a Sony CD-ROM and the HP) only the HP supported tags
(up to 4). Oddly enough, though the same drive is running just fine
on a NetBSD 1.1 machine with a Buslogic controller. Does the bt driver
not support tagged command queuing? I notice that there's no mention
at all of the word `tag' in the driver.

> It is a nearly up to date version. I merged in a few NetBSD
> compatibility patches recently, and will do a further update
> as soon as my time permits. NetBSD kernel interfaces changed
> between 1.0 and 1.1, and I don't have a NetBSD system to do
> any tests (or test compilations) of my own on.

It would be nice if the driver going into the NetBSD source tree
had a comment mentioning which version of Stefan's driver it was
derived from (or perhaps we just want to use the same version
number?) Comments from those committing these changes?

Actually, the interface changed very little between 1.0 and 1.1;
I just have to change a few include files and the names of a few
variables to back-port a driver.

At any rate, I'll be upgrading to 1.1 in the next couple of months
anyway, and I'd be happy to help test out any changes to your
driver.

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this drive, however, if it doesn't
support tags. If anybody wants to send me their recommendation (by
private e-mail; I'll summarise to those who have interest) on an
equivalantly fast 1.2GB drive (I get 4MB/sec from the HP on a
Buslogic controller) that's not horribly expensive and works well,
I'd appreciate it.

As per usual on this thread, please cc to both me and Stephen as neither
of us is on the NetBSD-current list.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.