Subject: Re: st(1) st(4) man pages where are thy?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/1996 08:52:18
Arthur Hoffmann wrote:

> Hi
> I don't seem to be able to find any information on the scsi
> implementation in NetBSD1.1. The st man pages are missing too.
>
> Where do I need to look?
>
> My tapedrive doesn't accept any write commands after I access it with
> the /dev/nrst device. The Tape drive's light remains on. /dev/rst works
> fine, but I can't append to the tape.
>
> Also, mt -f /dev/(n)rst returns:
> 	 7: unknown tape drive type
>
> It is a WANGTEK, 5525ES SCSI REV1, 6F6> SCSI1 1/sequential removable

I ran into a similar thing last night, but with a Archive DAT drive I used
off a SUN... it r/w fine though - just the status option from mt
gives the unkown type error. I have not have time to look at it - I got used
to message since the QIC I got in my machine has always done it :-) I thought
REAL tape drives should work properly though...

I sometimes use a Mountain WangDAT based drive - it needs a quirk entry,
but you'll see that soon enough with the box boots... you a LOT of SCSI
probe errors and the rest of your SCSI devices on the bus does not get
probed...

The missing man pages a major pain indeed...

et
--
Ernst J. du Toit (TED5)           Internet: ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za
School of Electrical Engineering  BELTEL  : 175250 / Amateur Radio: ZR1ABB