Subject: Re: procfs/kernfs "required"? [was Re: kernel & libkvm... ]
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@niagara.nectar.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1996 23:25:49
On Fri, 12 Jan 96 19:02:16 EST
	Chris G Demetriou wrote:

>Growth of systems requires more memory, and the more memory you have,
>the more of it people developing with systems will try to use.  It's
>because of this that the minimum 'reasonable' "workstation"
>configuration on an Alpha is 48M (for OSF/1; i'd say the same for
>NetBSD), and that pages a _lot_.  (The _minimum_ DEC ships on some
>systems is 32M...)

48M? *sigh*

I think roughly > 90% of the 300's and 300L's on this campus have 32M in
them .. that's in excess of probably 200 or 300 of these machines, and at
the time that these were purchased they were thought to be well equipped.

Of course, whenever someone is forced to use one of these machines we
realize why 32M is the absolute minimum.

I wonder how we ended up with such 'small' machines..

--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group