Subject: Re: procfs/kernfs "required"? [was Re: kernel & libkvm... ]
To: None <greywolf@captech.com>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@niagara.nectar.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1996 18:56:29
> /*
>  * > ...so tossing in /proc is negligible.
>  *
>  * Without even ATTEMPTING to state the size of adding procfs, where do
>  * you come off stating _that_?
>  *
>
> Comparatively, it's negligible.  It's still taking up less memory than
> SunOS does.  You really can't argue with that. :-)

According to this logic, i should feel free to add a 5MB array of
nothing to the NetBSD/Alpha kernel, because if I did it would still be
smaller than the OSF/1 kernel i normally run on my workstation.

Of course, compared to say, some real-time kernels, the NetBSD kernel
is huge...

Keeping a system trim and avoiding bloat isn't about being smaller
than a comparable system...  You may feel _good_ of you system is
smaller than a comparable system, but that's not the point.

cgd