Subject: Re: kernel & libkvm [was IIci success]
To: Jason Downs <downsj@teeny.org>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/1996 20:01:52
> It's highy inelegant for pieces of an operating system to break if some
> small data structure in the kernel changes.  ps(1) and friends should use
> procfs, which should be a mandatory part of the kernel.

What should be provided by procfs?  all the fields of 'proc'?  as
strings?  or as a struct?

if you go the strings route, you things down, potentially a lot.  If
you go the struct route, then the same things that break ps(1) now
would break it then.

> It's time to step out of the stone ages of operating system design.  People
> who think otherwise can go run 386BSD or 4.3, and stop holding others
> to an old and broken design.

if "modern" is slow and large, and "stone age" is small and fast but
requires some knowledge to use, well, i'd better get my club, put on
my thong, and go get me a mammoth.