Subject: Re: kernel & libkvm [was IIci success]
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/1996 08:27:49
>der Mouse wrote:

>This is the Nth time I've heard something like "This would be neat, but
>since kernfs (or procfs) is optional, ...".
>
>Perhaps it's time to admit that they offer significant useful
>functionality and make them an if-you-don't-use-it-things-will-break
>part of the system?

I agree with this.  kernfs is used in a few places and is small enough
that it shouldn't cause memory problems or anything like that, and in
those cases it would be non-standard to have it missing rather than
optional for everyone.

procfs I'm not certain about.  I remember someone (cgd?) mentioning
there may be security problems with it.  If that isn't the case, I
don't see why it and fdesc and a few others shouldn't be standard.

I also note FIFO is recommended, not required.  Perhaps kernfs should
at least be upgraded to recommended?

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!